Mar 4, 2011

"The others"

The last bell rang for the day, as the evening sun colored the hallway with yellow-orange warmth. I stood watching the last of the students clear out of the parking lot. I was a substitute teacher in a new school and found myself wandering in the sleepy hallway as I walked back to my assigned classroom for the day. I found myself lost somewhere down by the art rooms. The students' art work decorated the hall wall. I stopped to look at a drawing of a woman; it was stunning and she was beautiful. I was wondering who this woman was, when I heard a soft voice from over my shoulder.
"Its his mother," the voice answered the question in my head.
"She is beautiful," I replied as I turned my head, "and the student is talented."
My brown eyes met with the deep emerald eyes belonging to the man behind me. For a moment, we were lost. I felt comfortable, at peace like we have known each other all of our lives.
"I'm Ann," I introduced myself to him.
He smiled and said, "Sean."
That one word changed my life. I followed him into his classroom; I didn't have anything to do or anywhere to go. I could go home, to my empty house and wait. I stepped into Sean's art room.

No comments:

Post a Comment